Our Mission: Empowering families and their children to make sound choices and achieve promising futures.
Directions for Youth & Families is a resiliency-oriented/trauma-informed mental and behavioral health nonprofit organization serving Franklin and Delaware counties, providing effective programs and treatment to youth, adults and their families. Our programs provide skills and resources needed by youth to be successful members of our community, to be the next generation of community leaders, and to be the positive change that disadvantaged neighborhoods desperately need. We hold the national COA accreditation as well as the state OHMAS certification.
DFYF works with families and young people to help them identify strengths and learn new skills that lead to healthier decision-making. With the ultimate goal to achieve success in their lives, families and youth work with staff to address many issues including school concerns, delinquency, violence, mental health issues, child abuse/neglect, sexual abuse, and substance abuse. Most programs are provided on an outreach basis - in client's homes, schools, or other community settings - to reduce barriers to treatment and provide services in the environment they are needed.
- Serving Central Ohio since 1899
- Serves over 6,200 youth and their families each year.
- A resiliency-oriented/trauma-informed agency
- 60 masters’ and bachelor licensed social workers and counselors, 90 total outreach community-based workers, and psychologist and child psychiatrist on staff.
- Partnerships with Columbus City Schools, South Western City Schools, Delaware City Schools, Big Walnut Local Schools, Olentangy Local Schools, and in some Charter Schools
- After-school / summer programs offering tutoring, music lessons, art classes, dance, leadership and life skills groups, fitness and meals.
- Five locations in Central Ohio
- 1 of 27 members of The National Crittenton Foundation family of agencies. Operating in 31 states, DFYF is the only one in Ohio.
- We support the basic values of the human service field beginning with where the client is and protecting an individual’s right to self-determination.
- Our accepting and non-judgmental approach respects each individual and the family unit, recognizing strengths in diversity, culture, values, and belief systems.
- We promote an individual and family’s right to choose. Our purpose is not to make choices for people, nor tell them what to decide. We discuss options with those we serve and respect their decisions, thereby preserving and affording people the opportunity to learn and grow from the choices they make regarding their lives.